www.ctxguide.com
Log in Register Profile Log in to check your private messages FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups
Strange and Dangerous Dreams

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Connecticut Explorer''''s Guide Forum Index -> Feature Articles
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ctxguide
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 1:10 pm    Post subject: Strange and Dangerous Dreams Reply with quote

My wife gave me the book "Strange and Dangerous Dreams", by Geoff Powter, as a birthday gift after the Banff Film Festival World Tour touted it as a must read.

It didn't take me long to get sucked into it's mind-bending psychological case studies of famous and infamous adventurers. The in-depth historical background information about the individuals' family life, personality traits, and the cultural pressures help to explain their obsessive and often flawed motivations associated with adventure. In some cases, the reading takes an uncomfortable journey into the shadowy depths of some fairly disturbed souls. From great American icons such as Meriwether Lewis to more obscure folks such as Jean Batten, this book will shed light into dark and mysterious places that few stories dare to venture. It may even help to explain some of the strange and dangerous dreams of some of my own acquaintances.

Additionally, the last chapter analyzes a twisted and tragic Connecticut climbing hero, Johny Waterman, as he takes on a truly epic 147-day solo-climb on Mount Hunter and then eventually fades away at the icy foot of Denali.

This book is truly unique and thought-provoking with excellent writing. I would highly recommend this book especially for those about to take on a dangerous expedition.

To order the book, please click the following link. http://www.amazon.com/gp/search?ie=UTF8&keywords=Strange%20and%20Dangerous%20Dreams&tag=connexplsguid-20&index=books&linkCode=ur2&camp=1789&creative=9325"
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 1:10 pm    Post subject: Advertisement

ctxguide
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Highly Recommended Book.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Connecticut Explorer''''s Guide Forum Index -> Feature Articles All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: