www.ctxguide.com
Log in Register Profile Log in to check your private messages FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups
Get High

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Connecticut Explorer''''s Guide Forum Index -> Feature Articles
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ctxguide
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 3:18 am    Post subject: Get High Reply with quote

Elevation helps.
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 3:18 am    Post subject: Advertisement

ctxguide
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 3:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go some place at least 3000 feet in elevation, but preferabley closer to 8000 feet.

Stay there for at least 1 week or preferabley 2-3 weeks while exercising and training.

The resulting boost in stamina and performance after returning to your home elevation will be dramatic for at least 1 week.

This was an enormous benefit that I had experienced myself after working an entire summer as a backpacking guide out west. My base was at 6000 feet and we averaged around 9000 feet with a max elevation of 13,000 feet. After returing to my home (at the time - North carolina), I entered a mountain biking race "The Showdown at Sugar Mountain." To my surprise, I could bike as hard and as fast as I could and didn't even feel the burning in my lungs. It made race output seem almost easy.

Unfortunately, since I had been backpacking for nearly the entire time, my technical riding skills had suffered. The result was a very fast pace that ended in a downhill crash. I had two months to think about what had happened while waiting for an injured knee and broken ribs to heal. I now realize that I should have spent more time honing my technical skills in addition to the elevation training Embarassed
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Connecticut Explorer''''s Guide Forum Index -> Feature Articles All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: